Lunch is probably the meal that I overlook the most, but I’ve been trying to up my game recently, especially when I’m taking a packed lunch to work. I need that midday pick me up to look forward to, and something healthy that’s not going to make me feel sluggish for an afternoon in the office.
This has become my new lunchtime favourite – after seeing a similar idea on Everybody Likes Sandwiches. It’s fresh and zingy but also very filling with the chicken and the chickpeas. My preference is to get a large whole chicken, roast it on Sunday, and have a week’s worth of leftovers to be picking from!
The dressing on this chicken-chickpea mix is incredibly good, and pretty much goes on anything in our house – salad, couscous, chicken, green vegetables (it’s incredible with broccoli). It’s also good with some fresh basil leaves mashed in too, although there’s really no need to mess with the classic. A friend taught me the recipe when we were at university – I mocked her at the time for carrying around garlic and lemon in her handbag, but now I think I would do the same if I had to be subjected to student food again! Amp up the garlic or the lemon to suit your own tastes. Recipe after the jump.
Lemony-Garlic Chicken and Chickpea Wrap Recipe
Tin of chickpeas
Cold cooked chicken, about a large handful
Clove of garlic
½ a lemon
Mixed salad leaves
Tortilla wraps, or bread , or more greens for a salad
1) Drain the chickpeas and mash lightly in a bowl.
2) Add in the cooked chicken
3) With a pestle and mortar, (or a bowl and the handle of a knife) mash the garlic clove with a pinch of salt. Once it is well mashed, add in the juice of ½ a lemon and stir well. Add in some olive oil, roughly the same volume as the lemon juice. (Apologies for the lack of precision, but this really is the kind of thing that it is best to mess around with the quantities to suit your own taste. I’m a garlic fiend so I like it nice and strong, but I’ll tone it down by adding more lemon and olive oil when we have guests!)
4) Pour the dressing over the chickpeas and chicken, and stir well.
5) Make up a wrap with mixed salad leaves, avocado and the chicken-chickpea mixture.